Good for your health and delicious

The consumption of tomatoes and tomato-based products is linked to improved skin health, as it may help prevent UV damage, and a lower risk of heart disease and cancer.

They are also a great source of vitamin C and antioxidant compounds such as lycopene, extremely important to maintain eye health, protecting against age-related macular degeneration. The water content of tomato is around 95% and the other 5% consists mainly of carbohydrates and fiber.

Other known benefits from this fruit are related with blood clotting, wound healing and also the alleviation of some menopausal symptoms such as anxiety or fatigue.

Did you know that tomato, olive oil, garlic and onion are some of the main ingredients of the renowned Mediterranean Diet, one of the healthiest in the world?

 

What is so special about this variety?

While there are literally hundreds of tomato varieties, the Malinowy, or Raspberry Tomato, is delicious and highly appreciated at the Polish table – either fresh as an addition to salads or cooked as a sauce for hot dishes – that’s what led Biedronka to partner with producer Siechnice, for ensuring its availability all year round.

Biedronka, the Polish supermarket chain held by the Jerónimo Martins Group, makes a point of keeping a close eye on its customers’ tastes and preferences. Raspberry tomatoes, or Malinowes, were a summer hit at Biedronka stores, probably because it was the only retailing chain selling it – it used to be found only in traditional, regional groceries, such was its scarcity.

Biedronka set out to fix this seasonality, by embarking with local producer Siechnice on a mission to produce it, not only for the summer but also for the harsh Polish winter, whose temperatures can reach as low as -25 degrees Celsius.

 

How was this possible?

To do so, they had to build sustainable, large-scale glass houses and a complex lighting system, making up for the freezing and long and dark days of winter.

The sub-variety of Malinowe tomatoes being grown is called Tomimaru Muchoo, a large, juicy fruit with a beautiful raspberry colour. Add to this the fact that it is incredibly tasty, with a slight sweetness, that is both subtle and delicious.

It’s easy to understand why the Polish love this versatile tomato. Biedronka is now responsible for over 25% of the total national production of this fruit: it started at 500 tonnes and should reach the 6,000 tonnes of tomatoes in 2019.